Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My "See You Later" Letter To A Close Friend

I'm not entirely sure why I feel so compelled to share this. Perhaps it's because I made a vow to myself earlier this year to start acknowledging my emotions, and in order to deal with them, I need to share them. Perhaps, it's because I don't think anything else could describe my emotions and struggles right now quite so effectively. Perhaps it's because I don't think anything else could describe ME quite so effectively. Nevertheless, I hope you dear readers enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Here's a little nugget of depth into my life (of course altered a little for Friend's privacy).


My dearest Friend,

Since the very first day of sixth grade when I was stunned by your ‘tude about “not coming from Elementary School EITHER,” I knew we were destined to be friends. And basically, we’ve been inseparable ever since.
You are one of the most incredible women I’ve ever met, and one of the best friends I could ever ask for. For the last thirteen and a half years, I have known I could always count on you for whatever I wanted or needed. From the divorce of my parents to break ups, I always had your shoulder to cry on. Likewise, some of my greatest laughs have come from our times spent together. We developed a passion for music together, which started with Backstreet Boys and progressed into pop-punk and eventually grew into wider genres. Part of the reason Blink-182 will forever have such a special place in my heart is because we discovered them together and lost our concert virginity to them and Green Day. You are the only person to send me a Halloween card every year, and every single year is makes my whole day. You have helped fuel the fire that is me becoming a wine-o and are someone who I can always count on to truly enjoy food and swapping any recipe.

I am so very lucky to not only have a friend like you, but to have stayed so close after so many years. We are both such different people from when we first met, and yet, remarkably the same. When so many friends drift apart throughout their lives or lose touch after high school or college, we have grown even closer. And because of this, I know we will forever be inseparable, no matter how much distance physically separates us. We damn well better be 85 years old sharing a glass or three of wine laughing about the past and the present, and maybe making new friends in each other if we’ve forgotten who we are.

When I first found out that your promotion was official, I had a few teeeensy tears. And as I write this, I continue to fight back an ugly cry. I will miss you more than you could ever know and learning to have a long-distance friendship with you will be quite the adjustment. However, despite my tears and selfishly wishing you’d stay, I am so incredibly excited for you and just about to burst with pride. I couldn’t be any happier for you to pursue a career that you are excited about and that you will be just phenomenal at. You are going to rock that account manager job and I am sure that everyone in City will love you. In the few short months that I worked with you in Wisconsin City (which, by the way, was one of my favorite jobs ever. And I’m not just saying that.) I very quickly learned what a hard and dedicated worker you are. You take great pride in your work and hold a respected yet approachable and relatable authority.

Although I am sad to see you leave, I am wicked excited to have a great new place to add to my list of vacation spots. I cannot wait to come see you in City, and I cannot wait to hear how much you’re enjoying yourself. We have a very unique and special friendship that I am confident will survive through any curveball life throws us. Congratulations on your new adventure!

Love,
Mon

No comments:

Post a Comment