Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sucky and Super Sunday

Sucky:
  • Someone made a rather inappropriate and totally uncalled for remark to me this week. Considering it came from someone I have absolutely zero respect for, I should not have been as upset as I was. But damnit if I didn't want to tell them GFY. I know, I know, "Sticks and Stones," right? False. Words stick with you way longer than any punch to the face would.
That's it! That's the only Sucky thing that happened to me all week. And I have to admit, if that's all that really happened to put me in a sour mood, I must be doing ok for myself. In fact, as you will see, my week was actually pretty phenomenal. My life is finally turning around in the way that I had been hoping it would for so long. Although there is still a fair amount of stress in my life, it has dramatically decreased. Finally, week after week, good things have been coming into my life. Positivity is crawling out of the woodwork. And frankly, it's about damn time.

Super:
  • Tuesday my little and I made Mother's Day cards
  • Thursday's mail brought me the custom-made Chuckies I designed

  • I volunteered at the Y's Healthy Kids Day for a second year
  • I had a fabulous Pure Romance party

Volunteering has been having such a positive influence on my life, and I cannot be more thankful for the Green Bay YMCA or the Green Bay Big Brother Big Sisters. Working with these children has probably helped me out just as much as it has them. It is so rewarding being able to help someone else and to know that they have someone there for them who WANTS to be there. 

I've only been a Big for about three weeks now, but we have so much fun together every week. This was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Little decided she wanted to make Mother's Day crafts as our activity this week. Her mom does a lot of crafting/scrapbooking, but has never really had the chance to help Mom out at all. I was excited that she was so excited, particularly because I enjoy stamping and scrapbooking so much. I told her the ridiculous amount of supplies I have and she grew even more eager. Fast forward to when I actually pulled out my supplies (and not even all of them, mind you) and her eyes lit up and jaw dropped so far I thought I was going to have to pick it up off the floor. I showed her my stamps, inks, stickers, markers and paper, just in seventh heaven to be able to share my interests with her. She was in such awe that she just sat and stared at everything for a good five minutes before starting. 

I'm starting to learn how funny Little is, and not just for being nine years old. Her Mother's Day card read, "Mom, I remember the first step I ever took. Actually, I don't but I'm sure you were there." She used one of my little footprint stamps and wrote [Little] 7 lbs 8 oz. I asked if that's how much she actually weighed when she was born and she said, "No. It just seems like that's what a lot of people weigh so I figured I'd just put that." She makes me laugh every time I'm with her and I hope she holds on to that sense of humor forever.

Saturday's Healthy Kid Day was so much fun I hadn't even realized my three hour "shift" was up so quickly. I was at the Master Gardeners station which ended up being far more enjoyable than I had expected. I was in charge of the micro-greens, which were baby kohlrabi, kale, arugula and a Japanese lettuce. I got to tell the kids what they were and instructed them how they could eat the greens. Surprisingly, most of the kids actually enjoyed them. It was funny to watch them so diligently pull off one single leaf to eat when there were about ten full trays full of the greens. I was a bit disappointed at how few parents tried them, though. There were some awesome parents who tried the greens with their kids, and high fives all around to them. However, many did not. How can you ever expect your child to try new things if you don't try it with them? And you wonder how you have such a picky eater? Give me a break. 

Also at the Master Gardener station the kids could learn about canned veggies. We had a few tables with fresh veggies next to their canned cousins so the kids could see where canned veggies come from and how they start out. They each got to pick a packet of seeds to bring home to plant and at the end of the station could also plant a sunflower seed to bring home to grow. As always, it is super cool to see how excited the children are to learn and try new things. Every day is such an adventure to them, even if it only eating baby lettuce. 

Saturday night I also had a highly successful Pure Romance party. This was the 6th party I've attended, but every single party is a new experience and just as fun (if not more) than the one before it. It was a good time to have some ladies-only fun, drinks and yummies. One of the things I love the most about Pure Romance parties is how educational they are. Although the parties certainly do focus on the toys, products and sexiness, they are incredibly informative. Even though I had attended several parties before this, I still learned new things. In fact, I think I learn something new every party I go to. I have to admit I had a fairly thorough sex-ed class in high school, but I had no idea the things I didn't know until I started attending PR partes. I've learned so much valuable information about my body that I cannot believe I didn't know prior. It also helps that my consultant is amazing. She's so knowledgeable about the company, her products and sexual health. She's confident, funny and personable. Seriously, ladies, if you're in the GB area and looking to have a party, check out her Facebook page. We all had a lot of fun at the party and since my sales were so successful, I got tons of free stuff. Holla! $150 worth of product for $52. Plus, one of my friends decided to become a consultant through my party! 

As if the week hasn't treated me well enough, it's been a gorgeous weekend and I'm of to enjoy the weather. 

2 comments:

  1. It's so much fun to see YOU grow!!! I love all the things you get involved in, and I know there is more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said it many times before, but I just love reading your blog. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete