Sunday, August 25, 2013

Songs of My Youth

Whether it's from knowing me in real life or just reading these posts, I'm sure it's pretty easy to tell what a large part music plays in my life. Since before I could walk, listening to music was something that I had a deep connection to. I've been told my whole life that my mom used to lay baby-me down in between the speakers, throw on some AC/DC and jam out. I apparently never even fussed. This was the start of something wonderful.

I have listened to a lot of different genres and artists throughout the years, but I have felt personally connected to every one of them. Looking back on my childhood, there are a lot of songs in particular that I had a strong connection to. Some of the songs had super relatable lyrics or mirrored an exact struggle in my life at the time. Some of them were just what was popular and I sang and danced to them with my friends. Some songs hold very specific memories. No matter what the reasoning, from infant to graduating high school, my youth was flooded with meaningful songs:


  • Thunderstruck - AC/DC
  • Can You Feel the Love Tonight - Elton John (from Lion King)
  • Shiny Happy People - R.E.M
  • Man on the Mon - R.E.M
  • Mr. Jones - Counting Crows
  • I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boy
  • As Long As You Love Me - Backstreet Boys
  • Back Here - BB Mack
  • Wannabe - SPICE Girls
  • Spice Up Your Life - SPICE Girls
  • Bye, Bye, Bye - N*SYNC
  • Lady Marmalade - P!nk, Christina Aguleira, Lil' Kim, Mya
  • Waterfalls - TLC
  • No Scrubs - TLC
  • Just a Girl - No Doubt
  • The Boy is Mine - Brandy and Monica
  • Jumpin Jumpin - Destiny's Child
  • Independent Women - Destiny's Child
  • Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
  • Slide - Goo Goo Dolls
  • Truly Madly Deeply - Savage Garden
  • What's My Age Again - Blink-182
  • All The Small Things - Blink-182
  • Anthem pt. 2 - Blink-182
  • Fat Lip - Sum 41
  • Little Things - Good Charlotte
  • Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous - Good Charlotte
  • Sonny - New Found Glory
  • The Great Houdini - New Found Glory 
    Me at the height of my pop-punk days. And yes, I am wearing a
    self-created t-shirt for a Good Charlotte/New Found Glory
    concert, complete with safety pins and metallic paint.
  • Minority - Green Day
  • American Idiot - Green Day
  • Swing Swing - All American Rejects
  • Dirty Little Secret - All American Rejects
  • Drawing Board - Mest
  • Get the Party Started - P!nk
  • You Make Me Sick - P!nk
  • Nookie - Limp Bizket
  • Pretty Fly For a White Guy - The Offspring
  • Why Don't You Get a Job - The Offspring
  • Flavor of the Weak - American Hi-Fi
  • My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
  • Dare You to Move - Switchfoot
  • Wonderful - Everclear
  • The Real Slim Shady - Eminem
  • My Name Is - Eminem
  • Without Me - Eminem
  • Complicated - Avril Lavigne
  • Broken - Seether
  • Last Resort - Papa Roach
  • The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
  • Meet Virginia - Train
  • It's Been a While - Staind
  • Youth of the Nation - P.O.D.
  • Silence - Mudvayne
  • Happy - Mudvayne
  • Headstrong - Trapt
  • Rest in Pieces - Saliva
  • Always - Saliva
  • Cold - Crossfade

No comments:

Post a Comment